Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cable Cowboy: What I've Learned

Chapters 1 & 2:

John Malone

  • Great dad who taught him things (taught him a way)
  • His dad instilled in him a desire to operate in a certain way and to achieve
  • First class education all the way to a Ph.D.
  • Networked through McKinsey to General Instruments to TCI
Me
  • No dad
  • A step-dad who was disengaged
  • Autodidactic
  • Didn't network ... built
John Malone was classically trained.  I am self taught.  I excel at building an MVP and getting it up and running.  I enjoy building new technologies and then leveraging them to build other new technologies.  And selling them.

At this point I don't think I can learn alot from John Malone.  I think I can learn more from Bob Magness than from John Malone at this point.

What I've Learned
  • Always ask "if not,"  If this doesn't work where does it leave me.
  • Seriously consider selling your first business and using that capital to build something else
  • Know your energy level.  When are you getting exhausted and need some new blood

No comments:

Post a Comment