Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Rethink to the Same Conclusion

I'm reading The Art of the Deal by Donald Trump.  It's the first book he wrote before he was The Donald.  He was just a down-to-Earth guy who made good (with a lot of advantages).  I'm a bit envious of his upbringing but it is what it is.  Nonetheless, he says that he thought about going into show business but decides to go into real estate instead.

Whenever I get frustrated with my progress on a piece of software I think about doing other things.  But I go down the exact same road.

Show business: it seems precarious at best.  While fun where do you start?  And what's the pay off at the end?  And what's the odds of payoff versus total loss?  And what's the timeframe for success?  And what does success look like?  All of these questions tend to conjure negative responses but especially the odds of payoff.  I've got my suspicions that most celebrities are not very wealthy people but are scrapping by.

The Restaurant Business:  it seems less precarious than show business but the amount of capital is higher and the payout seems lower generally.  Also the timeframe for success also seems somewhat long.  Ten years plus.  Maybe shorter but at my age my most precious commodity is time. I don't have any time to waste and can't afford a foray over the river and through the woods.  I could wake up on the wrong side of forty and have nothing substantial to show for it.  Unacceptable.

Technology:  The barrier of entry is low monetarily.  I've all ready paid the cost for the most part in terms of time for Internet/mobile businesses.  Anything I need to know I can learn relatively quickly. I'm confident of that.  I'm all ready doing it.  And I can have stupendous success in a relatively short period of time (2-3 years).  It's a no-brainer to reach success this way.  

Plus, after I have success I can partner with people in both show business and the restaurant business if I so choose to and get paid that way.  It makes perfect sense.

Different thought pattern.  More refined. But same conclusion again and again.

Update: Who knows?  Maybe I'll make 150 million, write a book, get some profile, and then do the show business thing without having to actually take any of the risk, put up any of the capital, and can have all the benefits of fun and fame and all that stuff.  And still run my wildly successful businesses.  I'll even have the clout to bankroll a small restaurant.  Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment