Monday, August 27, 2012

Drive and Flightpath

I'm in a fun yet funny place.  

Day Work

My hand at work has become skilled, so much so that today in two hours I completed a large portion of the task I was assigned.  I should be able to complete the entire task by tomorrow.  (I think I should probably stop there or close to so as not to raise expectations by too high a standard but we'll see.  As they say in Baltimore, let me think on it.)  

This meant that I had some extra time which I used to read about expert PHP and MySQL.  That's the title of the book.  Nonetheless, as I was reading this book I realized that in order to truly elevate my programming skills into becoming a computer scientist I had to start thinking about concepts.

The notes in that book are peppered with writing assignments (self assigned) which ask me to think deeply about a specific topic, i.e. object design patterns or the difference between ISAM and InnoDB as database engines for MySQL.  I am becoming a professional at what I do.  I am passing the stage where syntax and such matter and entering a stage where architecture and programming data models are much more important.

I'm transitioning from programmer to intermediate developer with architect fast approaching.  This is a good thing but I am somewhat nervous about it.  This is a rubicon but this rubicon should allow me to serve my community the more I master and dedicate myself to it.

Night Work

Tonight I came home, ate a sandwich and took a nap.  It was a nice nap.  And a good sandwich.   Then after I woke up I programmed two view controllers.  But it was the ease of which I programmed them that disturbs me somewhat.  It took no time at all.  I literally programmed two View Controllers in two hours including all of the navigation.  

I have four more view controllers to program and then this phase of this project is complete.  Next it'll be time to migrate my website to my server and set up a LAN and a RESTful service and then to get my app talking to my server.  I may have to purchase another machine just to run the MySQL server on.  Maybe not now but it should be soon.

Nervous

I'm nervous.  When it was all grunt work and drudgery I could just slog through and go about my day laboring through.  But now I'm becoming a developer and an architect.  All of the books (and there aren't that many more ... Scalable Architecture, Amazon EC3, Advanced JQuery, Web Design, maybe Magneto finally) are all advanced in nature (except Magneto ... but it's a framework so it should be reasonable).  

But in large part everything that I'm learning and implementing at this stage is advanced.  I'm growing nicely.  I'm on a path to wealth and creation and possibly influence or maybe even beyond that.  So then why am I nervous?  

"Be careful what you wish for.  You might receive it he said." -- Jay-Z, A Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment