Sunday, March 11, 2012

Books by Dr. King that I want to read


Why is it that the lessons that are most useful to us are often the most apparent and yet the most ignored.  I have been ignoring my own cultural heritage and examples in Dr. King for years.  Now looking at Barack Obama and his demeanor, the way in which he purports himself, and his life, Dr. King's message, more than his words but the way he lived his life has come through loud and clear.  It only took me forever to figure this out.  I've been looking for a role model for a long time.  Little did I realize one was staring me right in the face my entire life.
Stride toward Freedom; the Montgomery story (1958) details the true story of Dr. King's boycott based on the refusal of Rosa Parks to give her seat to a white person.
The Measure of a Man (1959) is made up of two meditations by Dr. King that show his peaceful approach behind his political and social philosophies.
Strength to Love (1963) is a collection of some of the inspirational sermons of Dr. Martin Luther King
Why We Can't Wait (1964) details the history of the civil rights movement and what needs to be done in the future.
Where do we go from here: Chaos or Community? (1968) An overview of what Dr. King has achieved so far regarding peaceful change and musings on the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment