Sunday, May 27, 2012

Core Data and Progress

Well yesterday I read through up to page 200.  Tomorrow I plan to work through page 200 and then write a song.  I find song writing helps me to actually get something out there which is always cool for a creative person like me.  

I know I'll enjoy it.  So that's cool.  What's even cooler is that I've made a real decision about my career path.  I've pretty much got everything down right now as far as technical skills in terms of basics, i.e. web programming, DB development, AJAX.  Though I consider myself a intermediate beginner.  (3/10 on the overall skill scale) I've got the basic skills to do what I want to do and more importantly I know what I don't know.  I'm really getting comfortable in this skill set (iPhone, web, DB).  The last place I really want to get comfortable is server management.  If I can get comfortable there I'll have a real business.  After I finish this iPhone app I'll have to take some time to get good at server management.  

To be honest I'm not looking forward to it but it'll be cool after I'm good at it.  I don't know. I am looking forward to running ten servers from my apartment.  That'll  be kinda crazy.  Networking them and getting them to talk to each other, etc.  Cool.  I'm kinda laughing inside.  That'll be crazy.  It's just the traffic will be the big part.  Getting the traffic that is.

I'm starting to think about business plans and I think my first real business plan ought to be to talk to a restaurant and get them onboard.  Maybe I'll talk to Manny's and see if I can work out something with them to see if I can get that to work, just to see if I can get a system to work all the way with no kinks.  That allows me no real out of pocket expenditures.  Or maybe I can talk to the local bodega.  If that works then maybe I'll expand to another bodega, just to see if I can get that working.  If I can make 100 bucks a week from each bodega I'd be pretty happy.  Who knows.  But if that works it's scalable.  It'll be a business.  Then I can save the profits from that to do other things.  

Maybe I'll pitch Duane Reade to manage their mobile infrastructure, etc.  I'll have a real business and then I can launch GFM properly with no real outside capital.  Not really sure about this economic model.  I'll have to think about it more.  And write about it more too.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment