Sunday, January 29, 2012

Power Rule 1: Always have something they need

Tonight I was helping someone close to me with their business challenges.  I like helping people I love with their challenges.  I want to see them succeed.  There was someone else that I told a price for a service they were asking for and they pretty much told me to screw off.  I obliged and went on my way, confident that if I held out (if I completely forgot about their request and was perfectly willing to walk away) that I would win, that they would crumble and come back.  Well sure enough that's what happened.


Today I was watching Meet the Press and lo and behold that person came back and increased her price by 33%.  


Always have something they need.


I have seen this lesson rear it's pretty little head time and time again.  People are willing to throw other people away easily.  As much as we'd all like to think we're indispensable we are not.  Most of us are completely dispensable.  And people will dispense with you as soon as they can if they do not have an emotional connection to you.  Unfortunately, emotional connections are tenuous and complicated at best and are whimsical, able to turn on a dime like a tornado.  However, having someone by the short and curlies, having something someone else needs at a time that they need it gives you incalculable power.  The playing field shifts.  And when it does exploit it.  Exploit it for everything it's worth if this person does not mean anything to you.  If they do mean something to you press your advantage at some level.  People do not respect others who do not display a killer instinct, especially among women.  


A guy might see it as loyalty that you did not exploit him and he'll be grateful for it.  He very well may feel an obligation in the future to pay you back for the good you did him, especially if you bookmark it in his mind by telling him "you owe me one."  He'll remember and unless he is a total douchebag he'll repay.  But a woman is a different story.  If you don't exploit her she'll disrespect your killer instinct and you'll permanently be in the friend zone.  If she is a family member simply extract a fair price, some form of compensation, i.e. a meal or something just so their is recognition of your work.  If you do not force some material recognition of your work she will devalue it in her mind and treat it, and thus you, flippantly.  


I have used this lesson time and again in my life.  With an employer I have a skill that they desperately need.  For a time it makes me indispensable.  In that case at that particular moment ask for a raise.  Never let this opportunity slip away.  They will surely exploit you if they get the chance therefore make sure they never do.  


With women if they need a place to stay or they need a shoulder to cry on or to be reassured, press your advantage in some means.  If you do not they will not respect your virility.  


Always make sure you have a skill that someone needs and is willing to pay dearly for.  Increase your advantage, financially or otherwise until you put yourself in a position that you can own the enterprise.  Then you have something everyone needs:  a paycheck.  


Are you planning to ignore this rule?  The alternative is graveling, begging, kissing ass and losing your dignity.  As sad as it makes me this is can be a dog eat dog world.  Be noble.  Be regal.  Treat people well.  But in order to do all of those things you must be the lead dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment