Monday, January 2, 2012

Distractions

No one's still reading my blog.  This is awesome.  Now onto the next one.


So I spoke to my sister before the New Year.  We spoke about some of our goals for the New Year.  It was funny because a lot of her goals had a lot to do with work for me.  But to be honest I'm not really that interested in her goals.  Her goals are all in show business.  And to me show business is a shaky business.  It's not the type of business that I want my future company based on.  Sure, it adds some pizazz and it's fun.  But it's tremendously unstable.  And to do the things that I want to do I can not have massive amounts of unstability.  Yet the allure is appealing.  But I must reject it.  I must learn to say no to her a lot more often despite her disdain.  


I don't really care for her life or her lifestyle.  I enjoy some of her freedom but her well being is mostly based on likability.  I don't think likability is something to build a future on.  I think likability is like a suited pair in poker, a nice to have but not necessary (or even sufficient) to win.  Computers alone are like a pair of Queens but mixed with math their like a pair of Kings.  After I add my other creative talents to them it'll be like a pair of Aces.  I'm just uncomfortable with the paths she's aligned.   I'll have to communicate this with her at the right time.  Next weekend we're supposed to work together on a project. :-/  I'd rather work on my own projects. But nonetheless we're supposed to work together on a project.  I'll work with her on that one and then deliver the news that I will be busy for the foreseeable future.  I am finding her ideas and her timelines to be a distraction.  I am not really that into it.


Next, this week I worked on programming GFM.  It did not go as quickly as planned.  I ran into some snags with an overall understanding of the LAMP stack and it's relationship to Aptana.  


Aptana is primarily a front end software development tool.  It can edit PHP but it can not run it and the PHP compiler is not included with Aptana.  Therefore you must first install PHP.  Then you must install Apache with is the container for PHP.  Aptana does a good job of integrating with MySQL but it is quite a bit of thinking and configuring to get Aptana, PHP, and Apache to work together seamlessly if you're not familiar with the architecture.  Fortunately for me I am now.  


I also learned quite a bit about the $.getJSON and the JSON data structure.  I still have more the learn.  But I am confident of this: I can now leverage the skills that I have learned with PHP into faster and more significant development.  I am eager to move forward.  I have a lot to learn though specifically about LAMP stack especially about the configurations.  There is quite a bit to know.



No comments:

Post a Comment