Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Ethos

"Hov, remind yourself.  Nobody's built like you.  You designed yourself." -- Jay-Z, A Dream

I feel as though I am not just designing myself but am consciously building myself.  Since I was a little boy I've always wanted to build something.  I am in the process of building that something now.  But I am also in the process of building myself.  There's a Jeep commercial that says, "The things you make make you."  I agree with that to a large extent.  I find myself transforming because daily now I am in the process of building things and in the process I find that I am building myself.  In this self design I find that I am developing an Ethos.

There are a couple key points about building myself that I am finding principle. 

-- Self-Made

I am a self-made man.  Sure, I have had ample help from family members.  But by and large outside of family I am self made.  I largely taught myself all but the basic rudiments of computer programming.  I taught myself how to dress well (as an adult).  I taught myself how to comport myself in a professional environment.  I taught myself how (and how not to) take risks.  I build things and move of my own volition, only subject to God's will.  I am by and large self-made.

-- 1950's

I find my ethos to be of yesteryear, of  a time past.  I dress well.  But that is because a man ought to take care of the details in his life.  I eat real food and cook because I need nourishment and a man must take care of himself.  I enjoy shaving and having a drink.  Not drinking.  Having a drink.  Selecting.  Choosing.  And realizing that all decisions have rewards or consequences.  I find myself taking risks but choosing them carefully.

-- Handcrafted Life

The first things I wanted to be in life were an automechanic and a DJ.  The work in combination speak to grace and craft.  Both together speak to choices about quality and craftsmanship melded with attention to detail, design.  These things must be handcrafted but more importantly they must be mastered with careful patience over time.

-- Slow Real Stable Self Made Success

I don't have a mind or a soul for a quick buck.  Let's make a business and flip it for a quick dollar.  Rather I have a mind for creating a product, improving it, mastering it, learning about marketing it, and then building on that success.  Slow stable meaningful substantive achievement.  Stability.  Foundation.

-- Taking Care of One's Self

Clothing.  Craftsmanship.  Attention to detail.  Association.  Self-respect.  All of these things lead to permanence.  An enduring quality.

It's important to note here that strength exists to serve and protect others.  Giving workers a safe stable place to work.  Seeing customers as a group to be served diligently.  Serving the community as a whole, seeking to take care of those who are within reach.   The  purpose is to serve.

In order to do that I must build a truly independent power base.  Technology and the current timeframe are the beginnings of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment