Monday, December 31, 2012

It Can't Be About Me Ultimately

Today I was coming home from work.  I was feeling okay but not ebullient to tell the truth.  I got to the subway and a young man was there.  He needed to get on the subway.  I bought a Metrocard and put him on the Subway.   Right after that I felt a ping of light in my soul.  It felt really good to do something for someone else where I had to sacrifice in order to do what was right.  

It felt good.

Then I realized what I wanted to do when I hit 10,000 dollars.  I want to take 1,000 dollars and go back to Hollis.  And I want to spend the day camped out in a supermarket and look for single mothers struggling to make ends meet.  Then I want to pay for their groceries.  

I want to give back.  Because that's the reason for making it in the first place.  It can't be about you.  It can't be about me.  It has to be about people who need help.  I've made a lot of mistakes in my life.  But I know this is what's right.  This is the right path.  Earn and give it back to help someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment