Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Rockefeller's Resolve

I have a new respect for John D. Rockefeller.  

It takes tremendous self discipline to gain extraordinary wealth.

John D. Rockefeller once was in his office.  A man entered and asked him a question.  Rockefeller had a few quarters in his hand.  He walked over to the window and stood in front of the it dropping the quarters repeatedly in his hand.  He did this for fifteen minutes.  As he dropped the quarters he listened to the young man behind him, exhasperated, sighing and carrying on.  He smiled to himself.  He admired the self-discipline he had to achieve while others could not control themselves.  He attributed his success to his self-control.

It will take tremendous self discipline for me to achieve my goals.  But I will achieve them.  It will start with keeping this job.  (See Thin Ice, another blog entry).  

It will continue with me staying focused on the task at hand and being financially disciplined.

I am not likable in the Obama way.  I know that.  But that doesn't mean that I can't have tremendous influence on the world for the good.

But I will have to daily improve my resolve.  This is the first task.

No comments:

Post a Comment