Thursday, December 6, 2012

Whatever He Is

When I was dating my most serious girlfriend her roommate said to us one day as we were leaving the house, "I'll take my doctor-lawyer over ... whatever he is."

It shocked me.  It shocked me to the core.  Even to this day I'm still struck by it.

I met her boyfriend.  He was a good guy.  There's no fault against him.  But she was somewhat right.  I didn't know what I wanted to be.  I was trying to figure it out.

Did I want to be a lawyer?  Well, being a lawyer would be fun but I also figured it'd be pretty selfish.  You see, lawyers at the end of the day don't create anything.  They don't create any wealth or any product.  All they create is a whirlwind of paper and fee schedules if they're good.  Maybe they create history with a case but that just didn't seem to be a just contribution.

Well, a politician maybe?  Well, that seemed to be a job in which you attempt to manage the affairs of the country but what have you made?  What have you created?  How have you given?  It seems to be the job of a second career but not a primary one.

What about a trader in finance?  Well, that seems to be a lawyer rehashed.  Ghandi said wealth without work was a sin.  I happen to agree and that seems to be the business most traders are in.

What about show business?  While thats creative and contributive it really seems to be a party for one.  Sure  you can employ a handful of people but by-and-large it seems to be a very intensive activity while it doesn't have enough room to bring others along.

Well what did I want out of life?  I always prided myself on being smart.  I wanted something that allowed me to use my mind in new and creative but concrete ways.  I also wanted to create something that would allow me to hire plenty of people, sharing the prosperity and growing it for an entire community and not for a small handful of people.  I also wanted to create something long lasting, substantive.  

Today I spent all day trying to figure out how to complete technical goals and I am so happy that I stuck with technology.  It really accomplishes everything that I thought of.  It is wildly creative.  It is like playing a concerto lightly on the stars of logic.  It allows one to mix their dreams with technical know how which mixes the left and the right brain into a heady brew.  It allows for hiring, for giving opportunity to others.  And most important to me it allows for substantive achievement. Not ephemeral achievement but real achievement that can benefit the lives of others for years, even decades to come, perhaps even lifetimes.  Finally it embraces my ego and allows me to show the world what I can do, what I've dreamed of.  It allows me to showcase my imagination.  Technology.  A technologist, an industrialist, a futurist, a businessman, a visionary, that's what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment