Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Amount of Quality Work

Today I had a plan to edit forty pages of my recently finished first draft of a novel.  The motivation is simple.  Finishing more will allow me to finish faster.  Finishing faster will allow me to get more done.  Getting more done means more accomplishments and that means filling more fulfilled and generally feeling like I'm accomplishing my life's work, thus achieving my purpose in life.


But there was a hitch.  I found setting a high goal is good.  But it's also very important that you are able to achieve high quality along with that goal.  If I'm setting high goals but not achieving quality in the work, that's bad.  Very bad.  I'd rather achieve a bit less (quantity still is important ... the the use of the words 'a bit less') and have a higher quality product than achieve more and have a lower quality product.  


Therefore I have pared back my forty pages to twenty.  Yes it'll take me longer to achieve my goal.  But the final product will be a better quality product that I'll be more pleased with.  The workmanship will definitely be stronger and I'm confident that I'll ultimately be more proud of the work.  


I'm curious as to how that'll carry over into my technical projects.  Time will tell.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment