Monday, November 21, 2011

(Minor) Mission Accomplished

So today I got (outside of work ... I don't really talk about work here that much) a lot done.  I edited 40 pages in my book.  I enjoyed it.  But there are some things I am concerned about in this edit.

I must read aloud when I edit.  I have to.  Otherwise I can't get a feel for the rhythm of the words.  I didn't edit the first 40 pages aloud.  That means I have to go back and do those again but do them aloud.

Second, I must look at my emotional lynchpins in my story which I haven't done with the first forty or the second forty pages of the story.  I need to go back and see where the reader should be feeling something or where I want them to feel something and go back and make sure that (to quote SWV) I am "giving (them) something (they) can feel."  So in essence I have to go back and do another edit.  But I am really excited.  

I am making solid progress but there is more rework to be done.  It's strange that I am learning the process of how to edit while I am editing.  I think I am just becoming a better editor.  But I am still eager to get this project wrapped up so I can get onto GFM.  That project is huge.


Aside:  I also need to go back and thicken up the part about Roy Rooksman.  That part is not where it needs to be.  It feels like an apendage at this point.  It needs to be 'sanded' to meld seamlessly.

As far as Girl 1 is concerned I texted her with a sort of nebulous very free let's get try to get together sometime this weekend if you're in town sort of message.  She should say yes.  I am starting to relearn the art of seduction.  But I've been far to busy to pay real attention to it.  

Anyway, tomorrow is onto the next 40 pages (80-120).  

Then Wednesday is 120-160.
Thursday: 160-180 and then back to 0-20
Friday:  20-60
Saturday: 60-100
Sunday: 100-140

Monday:  140-180


Done with Trader.  Onto GFM.

No comments:

Post a Comment