Monday, November 28, 2011

Rest, Relaxation, and Work ... on a Monday!?!?

Today was the first day back from a holiday weekend at work.  Except I ended up working from home.   Last night for some strange reason I couldn't get to sleep.  I ended up falling asleep at six am this morning.  My alarm clock sounded for seven.  Rather than go to work at 8 completely exhausted and nod off repeatedly at work, ruining my reputation and being completely unproductive I decided to call in sick.  I told my boss.  She told me it was fine.  And I told her that I'd work from home.  


Turns out that, by being pragmatic, sleeping until noon, then waking up and giving my work a solid focused couple of hours that I got as much or maybe more done in the shorter amount of time than by going into the office.  Sure I have a little more work to do ... but I'm always a bit ambitious when it comes to my work goals.  I could get it done but why push it.  I'm currently where I need to be in terms of scheduling and I'm genuinely pleased with my progress.  I'm sure my boss will be too as I should be well ahead of schedule by EOD tomorrow.  


It just goes to show that rethinking orthodox rules may be very smart.  Why keep the same stale mindsets when it is productivity and not hours logged that count?  Why spend eight hours an hour and twenty minutes from your house (forty minutes each way) when you can do the same amount of work in five hours?  It's awesome.


Now what else to do today?


1.  Edit four sections in my book.  It's necessary.


2.  Put in for my vacation time.


3.  Clean my kitchen


Right now it's my break time.  So I'm about to watch some type of program then I'm going to write.  So that'll bring me right up until eight o'clock.  Eight I'll edit.  Nine-thirty I'll clean.  Then eleven I'll read.  That should do it.  Okay.   Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment