Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Work of Art versus Worker

I think when you're creating something artistic, i.e. a novel, a play, a painting, you should take your time, be careful not to rush it, and go with the flow.


But when you're doing something technical or knowledge based I think there is an increased return with sleeping under your desk, doing it morning, noon, and night, and just working your ass off until it's done.  I think that when you're doing something technical or learning something new it's best to power through it and burn the idea or skill into your mind so that you can do your 10,000 hours (Gladwell) and make quantum leaps quickly.


For works of art I don't think that way.  I think you go until you run out of that vital creative energy and then you must stop.  As Mark Twain said, (paraphrased): I found that I would write and then stop.  I had to take the time to let myself fill up again.  Then once that happened I could go right back to writing.


Technology is different.  It takes a rigorous application.

No comments:

Post a Comment