Monday, November 21, 2011

Date, Date, and Write

Date 1:

The girl I am interested in, KS, is fantastic.  But I have to find somewhere to take her.  Perhaps I'll think it out here.  The first thing I'll analyze is what is appropriate.  Food. 

Food is a great date.  It's a great date because it lets you know exactly how serious or not serious you are.  There's nowhere to run over food.  Either you get along really well or you don't.  But there's no bullshit over food.  Food is a distinct possibility.

Play.  A play is a good date if the play is good.  But good plays are a bit expensive and I'm a bit tight on cash right now.  Lawyers.  But a play is good because it gives you a shared experience, something to talk about over dinner.  And it's memorable.  It's hard for a girl to tell you to screw off after going out to a play.

Adventure.  (bowling, rock climbing wall, dancing)  I like all of these things but bowling seems like you're trying too hard.   A rock climbing wall can be classified as weird and the last thing you want is a girl telling her friends that you did something weird.  Dancing is cool but if it's wrong it's dead wrong.  Mitigating risk is important in the early stage.

Hmph.  Idea.  But it's risky.  Cooking class.  It alllows you to work together, to hang out, you can go for drinks afterward, both of you get something out of it, and it's a story.  And it gives me plausible deniability because I can't cook worth a shit so it's kinda light to ask if she wants to keep me company cooking.  It's a good idea.  Okay.  Date 1.  Cooking class.  Sounds pretty cool.

Date 2:  

This girl is great.  I had her in hand.  Now I have to coax her back into hand.  It's funny to have to do so.  EC is a brainy girl.  My type.  But I paid her too much attention and so now I have to let her marinate for a while.  It's like letting water drain after a flood.  It just takes time.  I can't be too interested.  I have to let the mystery, the enigma, rebuild.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder.  I must reposition myself into that absence.  

The next time I talk to her should be next Friday.  I'll answer her email and then wait and see.  I'll have to word it correctly but if I do I should be able to go out for drinks with her.  It should be good.

Aside:

I'm finding more and more that I enjoy the game more than the win.  Except with KS perhaps (she is fantastic) but with most I'm finding that I enjoy the game more.  There is a bartender at a bar I go to.  She's hot.  She's just stacked.  I'm finding however that I'm more interested in the pursuit than the win.  When I'm interested I'm really interested but when I'm not interested I'm completely uninterested.  With her I'm interested.  It's a new and strange thing for me, it's sort of like I'm learning how to be me again.  It's a journey of rediscovery.  I used to love the pursuit.  Now I love the pursuit again.  

Write:

I edited 40 pages of my book yesterday but I'm finding that I'm not editing it aggressively enough.  I need to work on it with more focus but I want to really get on to GFM, my next project.  But I must force myself to slow down enough and to curate this book.  To really be relentless with it, to really focus on it.  

In the official Steve Jobs biography Xerox had a product that had the original mouse, GUI, bit mapping, object oriented programming, all the bells and whistles that made the modern computer great.  Jobs saw the computer and went back to Apple and started to build one.  However, Xerox, the original creators of the technology built and released a machine first.  However, they never curated it.  They didn't edit it, refine it, and take the time to make something wonderful out of something so full of potential.  Because they didn't curate it, they didn't make it special, it flopped.  Apple went onto great success.

I must exert the discipline over myself to not look at the next goal but to focus like a laser on this one making each page a page turner.  I must focus, refine, and twice distill this project to make it perfect.

Excellence, care, is a habit.  Practice is necessary.


But first a cooking class.

No comments:

Post a Comment