Sunday, February 5, 2012

Crazy Bitch

So last night I was sitting in my bedroom programming a website when someone calls me and asks me if I'm a programmer.  I say yes as I'm programming as they call.  This person says that if she tells me an idea that I have to promise not to share it with anyone or tell anyone else about it.  I say that's fine.  She tells me about an idea that I've all ready had and all ready blogged about.  

She then loses her shit and starts freaking out about it.  The worst part is she's my sister.  She just goes ballistic.  She severs all ties with me and I believe that when anyone severs ties with another human being it's hurtful.  But she severs those ties and that's fine.  The worst part is though that she accuses me of stealing her ideas.  That's nuts!

I blogged about it three months ago, told my co-workers about it last week, and ordered books in support of learning the proper technologies in order to implement it last week.  My house looks like a freaking library/laboratory (he he he :D >D ... technology is power and it's magic.  It's just so cool!)  Nonetheless I am hurt.  But more so I am sad.  My sister is becoming crazy.  She's in show business and she's becoming a crazy person, money hungry, just nuts.

I was trying to think what brought this on.  She had never programmed before.  She had never done a software project before.  Why now?  Then I thought about it.  Facebook.  Facebook had it's IPO or filed for it's IPO today.  Now it's all over the news.  She read about it and now wants to get paid from something like it.  It took Mark Zuckerberg fifteen years+ for that to come to fruition including his learning curve in high school.  It's amazing that people think it's somehow over night.  It is overnight.  It took him and his crew many nights in that lab to get there.  Yet people somehow think it's over night.  

That's the difference between Silicon Valley and Hollywood.  Silicon Valley values innovation, building things of lasting value with your own hands, and changing the world, changing the way the world operates for the better, democratizing as a principle, money as a bi-product.  And money only as a tool used to make the world a better place for a lot of people.  At the end of the day it's about people.  

Hollywood believes in fame for fame's sake, money as power over others, and just a way of existance that I don't believe in.  There are exceptions to the rule:  Whoopi Goldberg, Ray Charles, who just have something cool and meaningful to say.   But others.  Blech!  

Nonetheless this is pain.  Elon Musk described running Tesla as eating a glass sandwich everyday.  Well, this is just a glass shard.  I'll have to get used to it.  I should change this blog post to be titled, "My First Piece of Glass."

No comments:

Post a Comment