Monday, December 5, 2011

Manliness

I have been thinking upon the idea of manliness lately.  I think in this day and age it is a question that a large number of men wrestle with.  Some have a firm grasp on it while others may not.  If not then this post is for you.

Often I see things, particularly in the media today, that attempt to co-opt the idea of manliness, or rather what it means to be a man.  They often boil down to a set of rules about what it means to be a man.  The rules seem disjointed, disconnected and some how just foolish.  An example of which can be seen below.




Really Miller Light?  Really?  So my manliness is now determined by the type of beer I drink.   This I think points to the confusion around the idea of manliness nowadays.  If we are relying on advertising executives on Madison Avenue to define manliness for us and the trite answer they come up with is a beer then that is sad.  Our grandfathers and their fathers would be ashamed. 

I was reading GQ and they had a very straightforward answer.  What is manliness?  So here's the answer:



It's manly to do whatever the hell you like.

Emphasis on whatever.  Subject done.

No comments:

Post a Comment