Thursday, December 29, 2011

No Progress

Today I worked very hard on some code and I made no progress.  To be specific I was trying to pass a JSON object from the client to the "server" on a PHP script.  I just couldn't get it to work and I spent hours on it.  Finally I stopped and decided that I would post something to a message board.  I haven't received a reply yet but it's a noob question.  But that's not the important thing.

I've been here before.  When I was working on a project for EY I went three grueling days trying to figure out the solution to what should have been a very simple problem.  The project was over budget and I was under pressure.  Three days staring at a screen.  Then finally I came upon a small segment of an article that presented a slice of code.  That slice was the solution.  I finished the entire project three days later.  Now I'm a ninja on that application.


I'm starting to feel the same thing now.  Today was intractable.  But I know that it's simply the growing pain.  I know that a few steps down the line I'll be awesome at this too.  It'll just take some late nights and a lot of pressure.  Then I'll be able to take my eyes off of the techniques and begin to freely and quickly create.


But until then after I'm done with this blog post and dinner I'll probably go right back to trying to crack that problem.  I'm ready and eager to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment